Thursday, March 14, 2013

International Day of Women

For those of you who do not know, it was recently the International Day of Women on March 8th. Now if you ask me everyday is womens day, but I guess some people need a reminder. I just learned that my Dad and Stepmom also celebrated the day in Mexico by hosting a special worship service: http://erasingborders.wordpress.com/2013/03/11/international-day-of-women/ . While I am sure that was great and meaningful, I decided to celebrate the day with a little lighter approach.

In the treasure chest of the Tamba regional house, I found an old wig and old skirts that I brought to my village. On the celebrated day I went to the elementary school and explained purpose of the day and its history. After I had the boys talk about women's work and the girls talk about men's work. It quickly became clear who does more work who has the pleasure of sitting around and drinking tea all day.

After some pantomiming of work activities I invited the courageous boys to come in front of the class to put on the wig and skirt. For a class that is accustomed to writing down what is written on the blackboard and being beaten when they speak out of turn, this was an enjoyable activity.

As typical with pictures here, most kids refused to smile, even though they would laugh uncontrollably after!




For the rest of the day I had kids streaming into my room to try on the wig and skirts and have me take pictures of them that I promised to print when I am in the states, exactly 2 weeks from today!!!



Decided to give this baby a go, pretty adorable.
Cant believe I have been here for one year. I have learned so much but have not learned to tolerate the heat! It is back to 110 daily, which is do-able when you have air conditioning to escape to but when your only escape is a hand-held fan the heat can be quite painful! With that said, cant wait for East Coast weather and to see all of you so soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment