Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Hair!!!

The highlight of Korite, or the celebratory day after the month of Ramadan, is the prep. The girls go all out. If their parents have money they buy new outfits, new shoes, makeup, and fancy hair ties. But more likely than not, their parents dont have the funds to purchase those extravagant accessories and so they put all their card on the most important show- hair.
For days before, little girls rush around, getting their hair done by the pros. They fight back tears as the women quickly pull these tiny little braids into masterpieces. The final touch- the burning. They take pieces of cloth and light it on fire, then slightly burn the top of the hair to make it 'tighter'. I failed at trying to convince them that it is just damaging their hair.



Some kids buy hair extensions and do fancy dos like this-
Others buy those cheap plastic pieces and tie them on to the ends like Gundo's hair here. This picture is taken of Gundo getting make up done and all the other girls eager watching, fighting over whose turn it is next.









And of course I could not miss out on the fun so while I was buying veggies for my family the lady insisted on doing my hair so I gave in. And she did a good job!

Here I am on the day, decked out in my complete with my ladies.




No comments:

Post a Comment