Thursday, March 8, 2012

I have arrived!


Yes- I am alive
No- I did not sleep a wink on the plane
Yes- It is hot
No- I have not eaten anything exotic yet
Yes- The food is delicious
No- I did not need my Yellow Fever Vaccination card in order to enter the country that I probably gave mom a panic attack over after realizing I forgot it!! Grrr.... 
Yes- I feel like I'm at summer camp

SO, now that I have gone through the quick, easy questions, I will state how wonderful all of my fellow trainees who will be working in Senegal and The Gambia are. It is extremely refreshing to be surrounded by so many young and old Americans who are experiencing emotions similar to mine: excited to be here, nervous about learning a new language, and nonchalant about living without running water or electricity. This is an amazingly friendly, caring and female dominated group of 65. 

So far, Peace Corps organization has amazed me. Other than 2 shots (6 more to come), a cell phone, a massive medical kit and a bag of emergency medication, I have also received a large water filter with a demonstration on how to use it, 1700 CFA (which is less money than it sounds, and a variety of large booklets. This is my second day in Senegal and aside from the bus from the airport to the Training Center in Thies (pronounced chess), I have yet to see outside the walls of this gorgeous, impressive compound. Every spare patch of ground has edible plants growing out of the composted soil. Even the old toilets have been used as plants for pots and make lovely decorations. 

Our intensive training is yet to come. Today the schedule is light containing only a medical, language and technical interview. I amazed myself with my language interview as I somehow managed to blurt out a few audible sentences in French but it is clear that I have my work cut out for me. In the next few days I will learn what tribal language I will be learning and then the real work begins!

Now off to go assemble my water filter! Pictures soon to come... Happy International Women's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great so far! I can tell I am going to love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete