Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Quick snapshots of my home

This is the front of my home in Mbour, a large beach town with sand EVERYWHERE. I have not yet been to the beach which is 3 kilometers away but I hope to go soon. I hear it is gorgeous. I live in a nice compound with a larger home where 4 brothers, an aunt, my mother, sister, my teacher Aziz and I reside in until the end of training. Then there is a separate structure that is occupied by renters. One of the rooms is the size of mine and is occupied by a family with 4 childern who I adore! A baby, Mohammed, the cutest two year old girl, Siree, a smart and hardworking 6 year old girl, Adou and a 13 year old girl who has never been to school but eagerly teaches me Mandinka (the language I am learning).
 
 The soccer field that is in front of my home, it is almost always occupied with kids or adults viciously playing soccer. On the left there is a school where we have made attempts to start a garden.

 Inside my compound. My 'bathroom'. One shower room and one squatty potty. Fun stuff.

This is Fatu, a cousin who lives with the other Mandinka learner, Venchelle.
Fatu has more energy and more talent braiding hair than I have ever seen from a 5 year old. I was at Venchelle's house for two hours as people were trying to fix the lock on her door as the key got jammed and Fatu entertained me. I have not yet brought out the camera at my home because I did not want people to know that I had one on my first visit but I couldnt resist from taking a picture of Fatu. She loves to jump up and down but as soon as my camera came out all she wanted was to lie on the floor and for me to take a picture of her sleeping. This is the only pic that I got of her with her eyes open. Still pretty cute.

Promise I will take out my camera next time so I can take more pictures of my amazing family. More stories to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment