Sunday, April 29, 2012

So what does a PC Volunteer do anyways?


So something many of you may be wondering is what exactly I am supposed to be doing in Senegal. Well, honestly, that is still a questionable/varying response but I will try to give you an answer. Additionally, much of what I say now will change once I get to village and talk to people about what they think to be most pressing issues are. But Ill give you a short run down.

First off, for the first 3 months in village I will mainly be working on my language skills. But after I become more confident with my Jaxanke and French (the teachers and doctor do not speak Jaxanke as they are from other regions in Senegal), I will start my work as a Health Educator. This work will most likely involve running some workshops at the health post about nutrition, sanitation, gardening exclusive breastfeeding and child health. In addition, I will probably help run and organize biweekly baby weighing and vaccinations.

This is the maternity ward at the larger town 1 km from my village. I will get to do a lot of work here as well
While I am by no means an expert at any of this, a lot this information is extremely basic and may seem obvious to us but people here are not aware of. Like washing hands with soap, even after going to the bathroom and wiping without toilet paper. I'll save you from the gory details but lets just say it is not the most hygienic thing one could do.

Two other big issues that I will work on tackling are diarrhea related deaths and malaria. Diarrhea kills millions of Africans a year because of drinking dirty water and then continuing to drink the bad water after being ill. Peace Corps has informed us that this can be solved merely by drinking 'Oral Rehydration Solution' which consists of clean water, salt and sugar.

The other main health issue that Peace Corps Senegal is trying to tackle is malaria. Malaria is the leading cause of infant death in Senegal. PC Senegal in conjunction with other PC offices around Africa have formed a 'Stomp out Malaria' initiative, trying to eliminate malaria related deaths in Africa within the next few years. http://stompoutmalaria.org/

My role in this will be to distribute mosquito nets (and makes sure they are being correctly used), talk about malaria and early diagnosis and encourage people to visit health posts once they become ill.
A common misconception is that people here have no idea what malaria is. People here are very aware of malaria and that it is a disease spread by infected mosquitoes but they assume that every illness they have is malaria. This means that whenever someone has a fever, feels ill or has stomach sickness, they automatically state that they have malaria. While this has some very real, negative consequences, I do not feel like I have been here long enough to make a valid statement about what these effects are so stay posted. Ill keep you up to date.

With all of that said, I have been bitten up a store so far. If one just looks at my ankles and feet it looks like I have chicken pox and that sit there and watch while mosquitoes bite me. So, my question so far is how can I tell people to use mosquito nets, make neem cream and not sit out past 9 o'clock when visually, it appears that I need to take my own advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment