Thursday, November 29, 2012

Peanuts here, peanuts there, peanuts EVERYWHERE!

Did you all know it is peanut harvesting season in Senegal?!?! Very exciting for me because it involves a new variety of snacks. My favorite is fresh , roasted peanuts. So fresh I first pull up the plant out of the ground, carry it home and give it to my sister who then gets some hot coals ready while I individually pull the peanuts off of the plant. Ever had peanuts that fresh? Delicious.

It is almost worth going to the fields for this perfect snack. Peanut farming is tough work!!!! The actual process pre-harvesting is long and extensive so I will save you from hearing about that until another time. But, if you are interested, here is what it takes once the plants are ready for harvesting. 

First, the woman have to  hire men (4 dollars a day) to 'tiga jaxuu' or go around with a hoe and dig around the plants, pulling up the roots. I tried to dig up one plant and was sweating sooo much, took me about 5 minutes while my mom does it in 30 seconds. But still, this is man's work so the woman have to hire men to do most of it.

I had 2 wonderful American university students from Dakar visit me and while they were here we helped with the next step of peanut farming- 'tiga nekelo' or the gathering of the plants into large piles. For them, it was an eye opening experience and were very impressed as I did all of the work, WHILE carrying a baby on my back. (I was impressed with myself as well.)

The next step is 'tiga tiumbo' where you comb through the dirt to pick up individual peanuts that had fallen off of the plant and are a individually hiding in the dirt. After 2 hours of this my neck was killing me from leaning over and preforming this tedious task. Following this, the smaller peanut plant piles are collected and placed into larger peanut plant piles. Then people hit the piles with sticks, making most of the shells fall off.

I am not totally sure what happens after this step... but I am guessing that is the point when the majority of the peanuts get brought back to the village on a donkey drawn cart. Once in village women wash the shells with water (tiga kuu), crack open the shells (tiga woto), toss the peanuts to separate the shell and the peanut (tigo tofe), sort through the peanuts for the bad vs. good ones, and FINALLY go to the market to sell them.

Sound exhausting? Think about that next time you snack on some peanuts while watching TV or eat a PB sandwich (oh dont even get me started on how many more steps it takes to make PB). But I must say, I am very glad I am in a peanut producing culture because at least I get some protein from them and can never be sick of eating too many peanutst!!

No comments:

Post a Comment